Saturday, February 7, 2009

First New Project of the Year

I am sick.

The weather here has taken a turn for the worse lately, and I guess I've been a little stressed with recruiting. So. I got sick. And now my back aches. I don't know how my illness caused my back aches, but somehow, it did. And now I am suffering.

Anyway, yesterday, I went to my boss's baby shower. I found out maybe three weeks ago, and I deliberated for a while what to make for the baby. I considered a sweater, but then I couldn't really decide on a pattern. Then, I remembered the plethora of yarn I had left over from Noah's blankie and thought this would be a prime time to use up some more of it.

I thought about making another Log Cabin, but I wasn't really feeling it. I knew I wanted garter stitch - it had to be something I could do mindlessly while I watched Law & Order. So I came upon the idea of knitting three strips and use each color for one really big block. I sketched a schematic and that resulted in...


Crayola Blankie
pattern: My own
yarn: Bernat Super Value Acrylic
needles: US 9 (5.5 mm)

I was really happy with the finished outcome. It was basically all I had imagined it would be. There was a little bit of weirdness though with gauge. The yellow, for some reason, came out more loosely than the other yarns. I couldn't really figure out why. It required a little bit of adjusting, but in the end, I ended up with the right number of rows.

Here's another picture of the whole thing laid out. Pardon the poor coloring; it hasn't exactly been sunny here in New York City.


It was received very well, and I was praised for my use of bright primary colors. I do hope she finds a good use for it.

No comments: