Wednesday, June 11, 2008

UFO Landing

Well, I never thought I'd see the day.


Grandma's Mitered Squares
pattern: Mitered Square... thingy.
yarn: Assorted worsted weights.
needles: 5.00 mm (US 8) straights and 36" circ for the borders

This was an extremely consuming project. It took me over a year! And for a while I'd nearly given up on it, but thank goodness, I stuck it out. I wanted to make my Grandma a blanket, and the mitered square phase was all the rage, so I thought, why not? I used mostly stash yarns, though I ended up having to buy more of the burgundy... which was Lion Brand Wool-Ease, and thus the cheapest.


To aid in the knitting, I made up a few rules. I stuck to four colors (burgundy, grey, brown, and white). Each square would have two colors and whatever striping.

Putting the pieces together was a bit of a puzzle. I didn't want any two squares with the same color border next to each other. I think I did a decent job with the final arrangement. If I could "redo" I'd switch two squares, but other than that I'm pretty pleased.


The border isn't quite as thick as I'd like it, but I knit until I ran out of yarn. Such is life.

This is one of my favorites. It was such a pain, but it's so pretty. I love it. And warm! This is definitely going to be the year of blankets (if all goes as planned), so I think this is a great way to kick things off.

No comments: